Saturday, June 30, 2012

Colegio Miramar by Nikki D.

Visiting Colegio Miramar
Today we heard from Nikki D. who is enjoying her time in Peru. Here is her account of how the girls spent Thursday:
Today we visited Colegio Miramar, an Ursuline grade school where Colegio Santa Ursula’s community donates money, food, and clothes to the students. Visiting the school reminded me that I should be grateful for the wonderful blessings that God has given me and be willing to share my gifts by giving back to the community. It meant the world to me to see these children with the biggest smiles on their faces. At first, I was a little hesitant because the children were a little timid, but, after they ate, they were ready for some action, literally. They were so energetic!  I am actually sore from running with them (or maybe because of my extra eating and lack of exercise)! To add to my soreness, when we were leaving Miramar, we joined in the boys’ P.E. class and imitated their intense moves. Props to Hilary and Angie for being able to make it through the entire dance without stopping!
Nikki getting to know the Miramar children

The energetic PE class at Colegio Miramar
Back at Colegio Santa Ursula, we enjoyed a lovely lunch with the nuns. We ate delicious arroz con pollo (rice with chicken) and devoured Lulu’s chocolate birthday cake given to her by the school. Some of us even danced with the nuns, and, might I add, they sure know how to dance! Later, we enjoyed a nice conversation where we got to learn not only about the nuns but also our fellow peers and teachers. It was a very thrilling Thursday but also a tiring Thursday filled with amiable people, plenty of exercise and scrumptious food!
Lulu and Madre Ester having a ball!

No comments:

Post a Comment