Monday, July 2, 2012

National Holiday Weekend in Peru by Ms. Chinuntdet

This past Friday was a national holiday, the day of the Pope, which made for a three-day weekend for most people in Peru. While we, Ms. Vargas and I, did many fun and wonderful things this past weekend, for me, the absolute best thing we did was eat sushi prepared by Betty's second son, Sebastian. I am sure that we all remember Betty as she is one of our friends from Colegio Santa Ursula.

On an educational level, there is a movement in the culinary world for fusion cuisine, a melding of different cultures and tastes to make something with new and exciting flavors. In Peru, they are fusing Peruvian cuisine with different Asian cuisines such as Japanese sushi. The sushi Sebastian prepared for us had many Peruvian influences like Peruvian chili peppers, cheese, etc. As the daughter of Thai immigrants, I know that there are not a whole lot of dairy products in Asian cuisine and honestly, I was skeptical of cheese on sushi. Crazy as it sounds, it was FANTASTIC, easily my favorite thing from an overall amazing meal. I hope this cuisine makes it way to Dallas soon.
 
Our Peruvian BFF Betty with Ms. Vargas at Edo Sushi and Teppan Restaurant

I know Ms. Nipp is green with envy.

Sebastian, once a struggling artist, now applies his
artistic talents to food as a sushi chef at Edo in Lima.


No comments:

Post a Comment